Recipes from Our Restaurant Chefs
Potato Crusted Sea Scallops with Tatsoi Salad and Caviar
from Chef Eric Di Stefano
of Geronimo in
Santa Fe, New Mexico
|1 cup butter
|3 pounds Russet
clarified unsalted butter
juice from 1-1/2 lemons
||1 pound Tatsoi,
washed and dried
extra-virgin olive oil
||4 fresh mint
|2 pounds large,
dry-packed sea scallops
||1 ounce Ostera
(or other) caviar
- Melt butter and set aside in warm place.
(Do not allow to brown).
- Peel potatoes and submerge in large bowl
of cold water. Finely shred the potatoes into a bowl with fine mandoline.
Add the juice from 1/2 lemon and salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the scallops into 1/2-inch disks.
- Place a 3" x 2" ring mold on a large sheet
of wax paper. Press a 1/2-inch layer of shredded potato down firmly inside
the mold, sprinkle with a pinch of the shallots. Arrange scallops in a
circular pattern to cover the potato. Add another 1/2-inch layer of potato
and press down firmly. Gently pull off mold and repeat five times.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly butter a sheet tray.
- Place a large non-stick pan over
medium-high heat and pour in 1/4 cup clarified butter. When hot, place 3
of the cakes in the pan and saute for 2 minutes per side; turn with great
care until brown.
- Transfer to baking sheet and repeat with
remaining butter and cakes. Place sheet in oven and bake 7 to 10 minutes
until golden brown.
- Mince mint leaves and gently combine with
the caviar in the melted butter.
- Place Tatsoi in a large bowl, sprinkle
with lemon juice, oil and salt to taste. Toss gently.
- Place a mound of salad in the center of 6
- Site a potato cake atop each salad and
spoon the caviar sauce around the salads. Serve.
Back to Recipes Index | Restauranteur Home Page